Personal Portabello Pizzas Topped with Pepperoni, Olives, and Red Onions
- 5-6 Portabello Mushrooms
- 1 small jar of low-carb spaghetti or pizza sauce (I used Delallo’s Tomato Basil Sauce because there was no added sugar, just carrots, in the ingredients.)
- 4 oz. of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 T. shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 10 pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 package of uncured organic pepperoni slices (I used Applegate Naturals)
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 T. of olive oil
Really, use any toppings that you like or normally would have on pizza. The sky’s the limit!
I found a lot of advice on how to make portabello pizzas in order for them not to be soggy, mushy messes. The prebaking of the mushrooms, and the temperature are the most important factors in making sure this turns out well. Also, it’s important to remove the ribs from inside the mushroom.
- Preheat your oven to 425.
- Prep the mushrooms. Wash the outside of the mushroom with a damp paper towel. Remove all the dark brown ribs with a spoon. Be careful doing this so as not to puncture to the other side.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Take them out. Remove the water with paper towels, flip them over and put back in the oven for 8 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are in the oven, slice the red onions and saute them in the olive oil to caramelize (about 10-15 min.).
- Slice the kalamata olives.
- Before topping the mushrooms, dry them off again with a paper towel. I took them off of the pan and changed the parchment paper to minimize liquid.
- Place them back on the pan with the underside facing up in order to top them.
- While you are topping the pizzas, crank your oven up to 475.
- Here’s how I topped my pizzas layer-by-layer: tomato sauce, a pinch of mozzarella, slice of pepperoni (they were the same size as the mushrooms), pinch of mozzarella, slice of pepperoni, pinch of mozzarella, caramalized onions, olives, pinch of mozzarella, sprinkle of parmesan.
- Put back in the oven for 5-10 min. Watch carefully.
Here are my raw mushrooms without the ribs…
And, here’s the finished product. They were delicious!